Finding healthy foods that are tasty has recently been a challenge of mind. I started to just make my own modifications to my favourite recipes to make them healthy. Like this recipe for healthy stuffed peppers. This instantly became a family favourite and even my mother who has been doing her mothers version of stuffed peppers for years has switch to this one.
I make a few extra and freeze them to have for a quick meal another night, the peppers are a bit softer, but they still taste great!
Note: I generally make this recipe and my meat loaf recipe at the same time as they use essentially the same ingredients.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Healthy Stuffed Peppers Recipe:
- 2 TBSP oil
- 1/2 pound of ground turkey (225g)
- 1/2 pound of lean ground pork (225g)
- 6 bell peppers of any colour
- 1/2 CUP of finely chopped bell pepper (off the top and bottom)
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 CUP of fresh parsley or 1 tsp of dried parley
- 2 CUPS of cooked quinoa
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce (240ml)
- 1/4 CUP water
- 3/4 TSP of salt
- 3/4 TSP ground pepper
- 1/4 TSP onion powder
- 1/4 TSP garlic sale
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Hollow out the peppers and cut the bottom flat so they sit in a dish better (use these and tops for filling). Drop the peppers in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove and let dry.
- Heat pain with oil on medium heat. Add Onions, diced peppers and garlic, cook until onions are soft, approximately 3 minutes. Then add Turkey, pork and all seasoning. Cook until meat is browned and break up any large pieces of meat, about 6 minutes. Then add quinoa and tomato sauce. Mix everything well in the pan.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- In a baking dish, pour a small amount of water to cover the bottom of the dish. Then, stuff peppers with your mixture and place in said dish. Bake until side and cooked through (approx 25-30 minutes). the top edges will curl and brown slightly.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and serve!