The weather is starting to get nice, soon the itching for barbecue will be upon you, if not already. But how do you balance healthy with hot dogs, sausages and burgers? Easy, make your own healthy turkey burger.
This healthy dinner recipe is awesome for making a bunch and throwing them in the freezer for later. The flavour is awesome and you won’t even miss a traditional beef burger. This recipe is pretty versatile and you can add and subtract ingredients depending on what you like or what’s in your fridge.
Seriously its so good, you can ditch the bun!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Mushroom Turkey Burger Ingredients
(Makes 6 patties)
- 1 TSP oil
- 1 lb or (450g) of lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- Half of a small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 7 small-medium mushrooms
- 1/4 of red/yellow/orange bell pepper
- Breadcrumbs (optional)
- 2″ x 2″ square of skim mozzarella cheese
- Squirt of your favourite Sriracha or hot sauce
- 1 TSP salt
- 1/2 TSP ground black pepper
- 1/2 TSP onion powder
- 1/4 TSP Garlic salt
- 1/4 TSP paprika
- pinch of chili flakes
- In a pan heat oil on medium heat and then add onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is soft and add garlic, bell pepper and mushroom. Continue cooking for another 4 minutes until vegetables are cooked and remove from heat and allow to cool down (to allow food prep).
- In a bowl combine turkey, cooked vegetables, egg, hot sauces, cheese, salt, pepper and remaining spices. Mix together with hands. If mixture is too wet add breadcrumbs until you get desired texture.
- On parchment paper create burger patties and throw into freezer for a few minutes to stiffen the patties before throwing on the grill.
Toppings: Try a slice of tomato, avocado, lettuce and pickles
Sides: A few slices of grilled pineapple go great as a sidekick!
Get your grill on!